Who We Are:
United for a Fair Economy (UFE) exposes and challenges the deep-seated systemic causes of economic inequality and the racial wealth divide: institutionalized racism, low wages, regressive tax policies, exorbitant CEO compensation, predatory debt, and more. We provide popular education trainings and support for organizers across the nation, engage in state and federal policy debates, and publish illuminating reports and infographics.
We strengthen grassroots power by sharing an interactive and accessible analysis of the economy and the racial wealth divide. Our tools help people “connect the dots” between racial, social, economic, and environmental justice issues and the erosion of our democracy. We help workers understand the policies that have created the problems that they face every day, and identify strategies and individual actions they can take to help build a broad-based, inclusive, democratic social movement and a resilient, sustainable and equitable economy.
Our key constituencies and partners include Latinx immigration activists and organizers (members, staff, and leaders), low-wage workers, economic and racial justice activists and organizers (staff, members, and leaders), youth leaders in high school and college, women labor leaders, labor educators, public health professionals, social justice foundations, wealthy people working for social structures that share the wealth, and other progressive activists, organizers, and community members.
The Development Director will lead United for a Fair Economy’s development work. United for a Fair Economy (UFE) is a unique organization within the non-profit and social change sector in that over 80% of our funding comes from individual donors; less than 20% comes from foundation grants. We seek someone who is passionate about building authentic relationships with our wide range of donors committed to social justice- from major donors to online donors. Furthermore, UFE is actively pursuing increased grant funding and seeks an experienced development professional to manage our grant writing process, as well as cultivate relationships with new funders interesting in supporting our work. As such, we need a Development Director with a rounded understanding of all aspects of fundraising.
- Work with the Executive Director, Responsible Wealth (RW) project director and Development Associate to create a unified vision, work plan, and set of achievable goals for UFE’s development work.
- Lead & coordinate Development Team meetings.
- Supervise Development Associate and 1-2 development volunteers and interns, and assist in their professional growth.
- Work with program staff to understand and articulate program work effectively to funders.
- Regularly evaluate fundraising efforts, monitor actuals against budget, and analyze database metrics to inform and refine development strategies.
- Work with finance staff to regularly update income projections.
- Coordinate staff, board and volunteer involvement in fundraising and donor stewardship.
Major Donor Work:
- Oversee major donor fundraising efforts, including research and analysis, and delegation of stewardship tasks.
- Develop meaningful relationships with our top 50-100 donors, and understanding of their communication preferences, interests, levels of involvement, etc.
- Work with Executive Director, Responsible Wealth Project Director, and other staff and board to coordinate major donor stewardship and asks.
Oversee Donor Communications:
- Draft and/or review donor communications, including mail and online appeals, thank you letters, welcome packets, etc.
- Work with Development Associate to ensure smooth implementation of donor communications.
- Develop and oversee systems for accuracy of database record-keeping and income processing.
- Identify foundation prospects and follow up on potential leads.
- Work with Executive Director in cultivating relationships with institutional funders.
- Play a lead role, with consultation and participation from the Executive Director and other relevant staff, in writing Letters of Intent, grant proposals, and follow -up reports.
- Work with program staff to develop single and multi-year program plans.
- Create and maintain internal communication channels to ensure up-to-date knowledge of current program activities, and incorporate this information into development materials.
- Attend and participate in program activities regularly to develop a deep understanding of what we do and how it relates to UFE’s mission and vision.
- Assist with planning UFE’s 25th anniversary celebration.
- Minimum of 5 years of development experience, including knowledge of all aspects of fundraising.
- Strong major donor fundraising experience.
- Sound judgment of appropriate tone of communication for various donors.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to track and meet multiple deadlines, both internal and external.
- Supervisory experience and team leadership ability.
- Strong political analysis, understanding of economic inequality, and alignment with UFE’s mission.
- Ability to work in a diverse, anti-racist, anti-oppressive, mission-driven environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency with database tools (Filemaker), Office Suite, Google Calendar, and Mac operating system.
Additional notes: The Development Director will report to the Executive Director and be an active member of the broader UFE staff team. Like all full-time staff, the Development Director may be called upon to serve on key leadership bodies within UFE.
Salary and Benefits: This is a 40 hours-per-week, full-time position. Salary is between $68,000 and $70,000 a year, depending on experience. UFE offers excellent benefits, including employer-sponsored healthcare, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, Retirement Plan, holidays and 4 weeks of paid vacation time, comp time, paid personal and sick time.
Location of Position and Travel: The position is based in Boston, MA. Periodic travel throughout the country will be required. Must have a valid driver’s license.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 7th, 2019. Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis. Position open until filled.