Who We Are
United for a Fair Economy (UFE) exposes and challenges the deep-seated systemic causes of economic inequality and the racial wealth divide: institutionalized racism, low wages, regressive tax policies, exorbitant CEO compensation, predatory debt, and more. We provide popular education trainings and support for organizers across the nation, engage in state and federal policy debates, and publish illuminating reports and infographics.
We strengthen grassroots power by sharing an interactive and accessible analysis of the economy and the racial wealth divide. Our tools help people “connect the dots” between racial, social, economic, and environmental justice issues and the erosion of our democracy. We help workers understand the policies that have created the problems that they face every day, and identify strategies and individual actions they can take to help build a broad-based, inclusive, democratic social movement and a resilient, sustainable and equitable economy. We also help break the cycles of harm by training community organizers in practices of healing justice and through mediating conflict in relationships through circle practice.
Our key constituencies and partners include Latinx immigration activists and organizers (members, staff, and leaders), low-wage workers, economic and racial justice activists and organizers (staff, members, and leaders), youth leaders in high school and college, women labor leaders, labor educators, public health professionals, social justice foundations, wealthy people working for social structures that share the wealth, and other progressive activists, organizers, and community members.
Please visit here to learn about United for a Fair Economy’s mission, vision and guiding principles.
UFE seeks someone who is committed to systemic change and excited to work for a small, but impactful social justice organization. We have a supportive and flexible work culture that values well-being and collaboration. The Fundraising and Operations Associate will join the team with a focus on supporting the fundraising and operations of the organization. They will also support the Executive Director with several tasks and help with some office coordination. They will hold a key role on the team in helping to coordinate the administrative and logistical aspects of the organization. They will work closely with the Resource Mobilization Director and the part-time Grant Writer, as well as our Accountant and Finance Consultant. UFE is a unique organization in that over 80% of our funding comes from individual donors, so managing the data entry, thank you notes and other communications with our donors is essential to making our work possible.
- Process incoming contributions, including checks, stock gifts, donor-advised gifts, and grants income with extreme attention to accuracy. This includes data entry, deposits, tracking of pledges, and coordination with the Resource Mobilization Director
- Send thank you letters, including personalized messages when appropriate, in a timely manner
- Communicate with donors and funders about their questions and requirements.
- Help coordinate and facilitate mailings (mostly fundraising appeals and donor stewardship mailings)
- Work with the Communications Coordinator on fundraising appeals, social media and other online communications
- Update UFE’s database with development data, contact information and development event registrations
- Support the Resource Mobilization Director, Executive Director and other staff with planning fundraising events and UFE community events
- Collaborate with the Resource Mobilization Director, Grantwriter and Director of Responsible Wealth to cultivate new donors and funders
- Represent UFE at community events
- Attend the monthly Finance and Development Committee meetings
- Help with intern recruitment, training and supervision organization-wide, and supervise Development/Operations interns.
- Enroll new staff in organizational benefits such as healthcare and other insurance plans
- Collect staff timesheets bi-weekly
- Track staff comp time
- Assist with submitting expense and reimbursement forms to the Finance Consultant
- Communicate with our Accountant and support with coordinating financial paperwork
- Help with the record keeping and requirements of our annual financial audit
- Process invoices and revenue from sales and program events (conferences, workshops, trainings, etc.)
- Order supplies for the office
- Receive mail and packages
- Answer the main UFE telephone line
- Coordinate the bi-weekly staff meetings
- Communicate with office vendors such as the phone, water and copy machine vendors
- Manage the reservation process for UFE’s interpretation equipment
Provide support to Executive Director:
- Assemble and ship (as necessary) materials for major donor visits
- Administrative coordination and planning for Staff/Board meetings
- Other support responsibilities as needed
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong skills in time management and ability to multitask
- Ability to organize and prioritize projects
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong people skills, especially by phone
- Experience with data entry
- Excellent and reliable communication with internal and external stakeholders
- Familiarity with Mac operating systems and Google Drive
- Flexibility and a sense of humor
- Ability to work in a diverse, anti-racist, anti-oppressive, mission-driven environment
Additional desirable, but not required, skills and qualities include:
- Basic computer trouble-shooting
- Proficient in written and verbal Spanish
- Familiarity with FileMaker Pro database application
- Experience with nonprofit administration
Compensation & Benefits
The Fundraising and Operations Associate will report to the Resource Mobilization Director and be an active member of the full UFE staff team (currently 8 full-time employees with 4 working remotely). Like all full-time staff, they may be called upon to serve on key leadership bodies within UFE.
Salary and Benefits: This is a 40 hours-per-week, full-time position. Salary is 42,000-46,000 a year, depending on experience. UFE offers excellent benefits, including fully employer-sponsored healthcare and mostly sponsored dental plan. Employees are also provided with a 401(k) retirement plan, 13 paid holidays, 4 weeks of vacation, and sick time. UFE also provides partial payment of monthly MBTA transportation expenses and/or bicycle expenses.
Location of Position and Travel: The position is based in Boston, MA.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis. Position is open until filled with an expected start date in November.
United for a Fair Economy is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
[Posted on October 15th, 2019]