Virtually every state is groping for solutions to budget gaps of historic proportions. Unfortunately, most states are closing the shortfalls in counterproductive ways that deepen the recession, exacerbate hardships for residents, and stifle economic recovery.
UFE’s Tax Fairness Organizing Collaborative recently published report, “Solutions that Work for Main Street: Progressive Guidelines for Closing Recessionary State Budget Gaps,” provides a set of pragmatic principles for closing state budget gaps in ways that enhance economic recovery, ongoing stability, and more widely shared prosperity.
Key points of the Guidelines include:
Closing Recessionary State Budge Gaps
- Make more money available to state governments
- Make tax increases and tax reform one and the same
- Encourage of federal-state revenue sharing
Defending a More Progressive and Economically Sound Approach
- Don’t equate frugality or efficiency with budget austerity
- Challenge anti-tax mythmakers
DOWNLOAD THE GUIDELINES (PDF 176KB)