United for a Fair Economy (UFE) seeks a full-time development director to lead its fundraising program. The development director has primary responsibility for raising the funds needed to carry out UFE’s mission.
UFE is a unique organization within the non-profit social change sector in that more than 70% of our funding comes from individual donors as opposed to grants. We are looking for a development director with a rounded understanding of all aspects of fundraising, but with deep experience with major donors.
UFE works nationally and has home offices in Boston, MA and a satellite office in Durham, NC. We currently have a staff of 8.5 FTE. The current annual budget is just under $1 million and is projected to grow to $1.2 million in 2 years.
Download this job announcement (PDF)
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the executive director and other staff to create a unified vision, work plan, and set of achievable goals for overall development work.
- Hire and supervise development staff and interns and/or volunteers and assist in their professional growth.
- Work with program staff to understand and articulate program work effectively to individual donors and foundations.
- Regularly evaluate fundraising efforts, monitor actuals against budget, and analyze database metrics to inform and refine development strategies.
- Work with finance staff to regularly update income projections.
- Coordinate staff, board and volunteer involvement in fundraising and donor stewardship.
Major Donor Work
- Oversee major donor fundraising efforts, including research and analysis, work with executive director, Responsible Wealth director and other staff and board to coordinate major donor stewardship and asks.
- Develop deep knowledge of top 50-100 donors, including communication preferences, interests, levels of involvement, etc.
Oversee Donor Communications
- Play critical role in building and maintaining relationships with donors, including identifying and researching new prospects, crafting engagement plans, and cultivating relationships. National travel, both independently and with the executive director (20-30% of time).
- Coordinate direct mail, online giving and other donation programs with other departments, oversee and perform operations tasks when necessary.
- Draft donor communications, including appeals, thank you letters, welcome packets, etc.
- Work with Communications Director to ensure smooth implementation of donor communications.
- Develop and oversee systems for accuracy of database recordkeeping.
- Identify foundation prospects and follow up on potential leads.
- Work with executive director and program staff to cultivate relationships with institutional funders.
- Work with executive director and program staff in writing LOIs, proposals, and reports.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- The development director will report to the executive director and be an active member of the broader UFE staff team.
- 7 years of development experience, including knowledge of all aspects of non-profit fundraising.
- Strong major donor fundraising experience, including stewarding and soliciting five and six figure gifts ($10,000 and up).
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Sound judgment of appropriate tone of communication for various donors.
- Ability to track, prioritize and meet multiple deadlines, both internal and external.
- Ability to travel.
- Supervisory experience and team leadership ability.
- Strong political analysis, understanding of economic inequality, and alignment with UFE’s mission.
- Commitment to working in a diverse, anti-racist, anti-oppressive, mission-driven environment.
- Understanding of industry fundraising database standards
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Calendar; comfort with Mac environment.
- Familiar with body of legal and regulatory requirements for fundraising nationally
- Proficient in written and spoken English; fluency in Spanish a plus.
LOCATION OF POSITION AND TRAVEL
The position is based in Boston, MA. Periodic travel throughout the country will be required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary range is $55,000 to $65,000 per year, depending on qualifications. Generous benefits, including full health care coverage of employees and their families, dental, employer-supported 401-K, MBTA and more.
By July 31, 2017, email cover letter and resume to [email protected], noting “Development Director – Application” in the subject line. If you have questions regarding this announcement, please forward those to [email protected], noting “Development Director – Question” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
UFE is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply.
MORE ABOUT UNITED FOR A FAIR ECONOMY
We believe that a fair economy is built around:
- Jobs with dignity and living wages, where workers have the democratic right to organize and share the wealth produced by their labor.
- A robust public sector that works for the common good, funded through progressive taxes and accountable to the people.
- Equal opportunity and equal justice for people who have been marginalized in our society based on gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, and social class.
- Sustainability and equity, where individuals do not accumulate excesses of wealth to the detriment of others or the planet.
Learn more about us at www.faireconomy.org/about